Because Aikido is derived from the battlefield techniques of the samurai understanding it requires a level of training with weapons. Traditional Aikido weapons training includes the bokken (wooden sword) jo (short staff) and tanto (dagger).
Weapons class is open to students OF ALL LEVELS and while it contains some elements of advanced level training should be considered appropriate for ANY student of Aikido. Curriculum includes:
- Posture and holding weapons properly
- Striking and cutting practice (suburi)
- Forms (kata)
- Partnered forms (kumitachi, kumijo)
- Disarming and attacker (bokken-dori, jo-dori, tanto-dori)
- throwing an attacker attempting to grab your weapon (jo-nage)
Weapons requirements begin showing up on belt exams in the advanced-beginner level. As such, it is critical that students of Aikido begin to attend weapons classes early on in their training.
This course is ongoing and part of the standard dojo membership fee.
Return to schedule